This group is for nurses who want to lose weight, share stories and/or focus on fitness.

Will the Keto diet help your LDL levels?

• Author
    Allison Wilson
    Participant
    @AliW83

I recently found out that I have high cholesterol. Do you how Keto affects your LDL levels?

Onlyanurse
    Onlyanurse
    Keymaster
    @Onlyanurse

Hi Allison,

This is actually a great question. First of all, are you overweight?
    The true Keto diet is a difficult diet to follow. I am not a trained dietitian, as you probably know. I was trained in nursing. However, from personal experience, I have dropped about 30LBs already.

It’s a lifestyle change and that is the most difficult part for so many people. It was difficult for me for a while, then it got easier the further along I got. You get to know your body better and everyone’s body functions differently.

I eat predominantly basic food. I don’t eat bread potatoes pasta or rice. I eat steak, chicken, fish, shellfish, vegetables. I do skip the corn because it is high in carbs. But every now and then I will have some corn on the cob on the grill. I will also eat sweet potatoes on occasion and sweetened them with a mixture of monk fruit and cinnamon, as well as butter. Butter is not bad for you on this particular diet

I had a hard time not eating sweets. I think from me that was the most difficult thing. I decided that no diet that tells you you cannot have fruit is a good one. That’s just my decision and opinion. But it worked for me and allowed me to stay on a lifestyle change diet without having to stop it because I felt so bad. I have heard people on keto saying that they felt terrible.

That’s why I decided to add the fruit to the diet. It doesn’t keep you in ketosis, but it works. It works because it’s just basic food and not junk food. I eat melons pears, apples, blueberries, strawberries, blackberries, grapes, plums and pineapples. But I don’t eat bananas because they are high in carbs.

I also eat natural peanut butter because it has less sugar as much better for you. You can even get the generic kind at Kroger or Walmart. I also eat a lot of nuts. Cashew nuts, almonds, walnuts, macadamia nuts, peanuts.

I think if you’re overweight losing weight is going to automatically lower your LDL. This is a healthy diet. Run it by your doctor so they can see what it is before you go on it. Eggs are another part of the diet that is important so basically anything that comes from the Earth, fruit and vegetables and then all Meats, chicken, and Seafood. There is no counting calories on this diet. However, portion control is very important.

I eat about six or seven small meals a day. If I’m hungry I eat a handful of nuts or some fruit with monk fruit on it. It satisfies me and keeps my glycemic index level so I don’t get these urges to eat huge amounts of food. That’s What Makes You overweight and that’s what makes you crave carbs.

It’s also really easy to eat out. Last night I ate at O’Charley’s with my daughter. I had a 6-ounce sirloin steak with broccoli. Then I had a salad with blue cheese dressing and I felt no shame because I stayed on my particular diet.

Butter is also fine on this diet, as well as sour cream and cheese. I ate a lot of cheese because of the protein content. If I am craving pizza then I will buy cauliflower pizza which you can buy at Walmart or Kroger now. It’s not ideal, but it will stop the craving without you eating an actual Pizza. They also have wonderful cauliflower that is mashed and tastes just like mashed potatoes. I also buy the boxes of vegetables and the big bags of vegetables, because they’re easy to prepare in a pinch when you’re really hungry and you’re tempted to eat something you shouldn’t.

My only problem was that I’m not a huge fan of water and I loved my iced tea. So I really needed something that was going to be low on the glycemic index and allowed me to stay on this diet. I detest artificial sugar. It’s also extremely bad for you. If you do decide on this diet I would get the monk fruit that I have suggested from Amazon. It is expensive but it can be used to sweeten fruit and drinks. I often get the small containers of unsweetened applesauce and sweetened them with monk fruit and I always sweetened my berries with monk fruit. Here is the link again for the monk fruit https://amzn.to/2H6Qbxp. Trust me, there is no after taste and it measures just like sugar.

I’m not a great believer in taking medicine for things that can be fixed with diet and exercise. And as a nurse, I believe that most things can be dealt with without medical intervention and medication.

I think your case it’s certainly worth a try. If you have any other questions please don’t hesitate to let me know. Medications for cholesterol are so very bad for you and have horrible side effects. I would certainly try this first.

Hope this helps and keep me posted. You also should be doing some kind of exercise if you are able. Below are some pictures of me now after I’ve lost 30 lb.

Be

Allison Wilson
    Participant
    @AliW83

Thank you for the quick reply! Yes I am about 40 lbs overweight, and I am beginning a new exercise program as well. I was just curious. I was thinking the same about weight loss and cholesterol levels as well. You look great, by the way! Can’t wait to share my after shots as well!

Onlyanurse
    Onlyanurse
    Keymaster
    @Onlyanurse

Thank you. I have worked very hard to get this far and would still like to lose about 12LBs more. But it has to be something you really want in order to be successful.
    I am currently taking my yoga and professional training certifications to help others because I know how hard it can be. You have to stick with it and work hard to maintain it.

If you have any other questions regarding this diet and Keto, let me know. I am always glad to help

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.