This group is for nurses to discuss general nursing topics.

Nurses Salary-What Do You Think?

2 replies, 3 voices Last updated by Lucy Lucy 2 months ago
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Nurse Tamra
    Nurse Tamra
    Participant
    @Nurse Tamra

When you’re a new nurse there are so many things that can throw you into anxiety. Your skills are not honed in yet and you don’t know your coworkers very well. It can be really frightening to not be under the wing of your clinical instructors anymore but instead, rely on yourself. That can be a daunting feeling.

The whole time you’re in nursing school you can’t wait to get out on your own and when you finally do it can be very scary.

I can really relate to what you’re feeling right now. I felt the same way when I started my first job. I was was very overwhelmed. I used to cry all the time on my way home from work and sometimes in the bathroom during my shift. I felt the exact same way in my first RN job. I was on a fast-paced surgical inpatient floor where I worked 12 hour nights. I cried before my shift, after my shift, and on my days off. I would sit in the parking lot and have to give myself a pep talk to walk into the building.

Try to make friends with your coworkers. They have can help you more than anything and will have your back if you need them.
    If you stick it out it will get better. it usually does. feeling insecure about your skills can have a negative effect on you. When you feel like you are unsure about skills it can make you a nervous wreck. After all, if you make a mistake it can be your license.

Take advantage of your co-workers, by asking them questions and soaking up what they know as much as possible.

It will get better and you’ll get more comfortable. Good luck to you! We’ve all been there.

Active Nurse
    Active Nurse
    Participant
    @Active Nurse

I think it depends on where you live. I live in California and the cost of living is way higher there. I know a couple of nurses who live in England and they don’t make jack. I make closer to 150K, but I have an extremely stressful job, with crazy hours and no, I don’t feel like I am compensated enough. But I really can’t imagine doing anything else and I damn sure ain’t going back to college LOL

Lucy
    Lucy
    Participant
    @Lucy

I think you should stop complaining. For a med-surg nurse that’s great money. I don’t think many med-surg nurses make that, even in California. The healthcare system is already in such a mess, that increasing nurses’ salaries would only drive costs up further…not a good idea. Be happy with what you have or go get a PHD

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.