This group is for nurses to discuss general nursing topics.

I’m ready to throw in the towel but I don’t know what to do? Help please

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Ruth Ann
    Ruth Ann
    Participant
    @Ruth Ann

I’m getting tired of all the crap with nursing. It’s not the way it used to be. It used to be focused on patient care, but now it’s more focused on the scores for this and scores for this and we have to be a magnet hospital. This is really getting ridiculous and I feel like I’m going to make a critical error because I cannot take on this many patients and do my job well when they keep adding more and more paperwork to save their own asses. I went through a lot of school to get where I am, but honestly, I don’t think I can do this anymore. I don’t know what to do

Nurse Jewel
    Nurse Jewel
    Participant
    @Nurse Jewel

I think we all feel like this sometimes. If the feeling lasts though, then maybe it’s something that is a lot more serious. It’s difficult to change careers in middle age, but certainly not impossible. People do it all the time.

I’ve always wanted to go into real estate, and maybe one day I will. I agree that the nursing life ain’t what it used to be. So much has changed and we can’t take care of patients properly because we have so much busy work to do.

But, I wonder if other careers are just as challenging at the end of the day. I’d be afraid to switch careers and then find something I really hated way worse than nursing. Kinda like the grass is always greener.

Dana Marie
    Dana Marie
    Participant
    @Dana Marie

I understand your feelings. I have been an RN since 1987. I have been fired from more than 1 job for bs reasons, none of it due to patient care/ safety issues. I agree with FMLA. Take some time for yourself, look at other positions within nursing. Homecare was most enjoyable to me. It wasn’t EZ, took 2 years for me to get comfortable. A good team of co-workers is the most important thing to me. Take care of yourself and pray for guidance. Best wishes on your journey.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.