This group is for nurses to discuss general nursing topics.

Charles Manson Was Rushed to the Hospital- Would You be Willing to Care For Him?

8 replies, 9 voices Last updated by Oh Snap Oh Snap 4 months, 1 week ago
  • Author
    Never Cared
    Never Cared
    Participant
    @Never Cared

A few weeks ago I heard on the news that Charles Manson was rushed to the hospital. I know I’m a nurse and I am supposed to be non-judgemental, but my first thought was “I hope he dies.” And he did.

If I was expected to care for this monster I think I would have to quit my job. Now, I have been a nurse for many years and I have cared for many inmates from our local prison when guards have brought them in for various ailments, (some real) some just faked to get out of the prison life for a day.

But I was a young woman who was pregnant at the same time Sharon Tate was and I remember when this lunatic and his cult followers slaughtered her and her unborn child. There is no way I would be willing to take care of a pig like him.

Having said that, I can’t help feeling guilty that I would refuse to care for him and I am actually shocked at myself because I have never had such a strong opinion on caring for anyone. I am just wondering how others feel about this.

Would you be willing to care for such a monster?  I realize that many of the younger nurse generations may not even know who this man is and therefore wouldn’t mind taking care of him as a patient, but what about the older generations that remember the horrible acts this madman committed?

Nurse Felicity
    Nurse Felicity
    Participant
    @Nurse Felicity

I probably could, but wouldn’t want to. It would not be a good idea for me to help and care for him, because I would constantly be mad at myself for doing it. I would rather be on the end of administering him a lethal injection. Now that I could do with a smile on my face LOL.

I wouldn’t feel guilty for the way you feel. I think it’s normal to have such feelings about nutjobs like him. Why isn’t he already dead? Gawd!

Neurotic Nurse
    Neurotic Nurse
    Participant
    @Neurotic Nurse

No, I would not be willing to take care of him. I’m only 23, but I know who he is and what he has done. He is no better than scum. I treat and nurse humans. He is not what I would call a human. Nor is he an animal. Animals kill for food. He is something much lower and I would never be willing to be his nurse. Don’t feel guilty. I am sure many nurses feel this way!

NICU Nurse
    NICU Nurse
    Participant
    @NICU Nurse

Nope and I wouldn’t have a problem telling him that I loathe him. The man (if you can call him that) is a psychopath and I would refuse to care for him. He knew exactly what he was doing. He was not mentally insane when he killed all those people.

I couldn’t live with myself if I did help him. I would lose sleep thinking about how I helped a vicious murderer live.

Nurse Chistina
    Nurse Chistina
    Participant
    @Nurse Chistina

No. I couldn’t bring myself to be any murderer’s nurse. I understand that we are nurses and should care for everyone. But we have the right not to care for patients who infringe on our beliefs morally so I would have to pass this puke along to one of my coworkers.

Nurse Kim
    Nurse Kim
    Participant
    @Nurse Kim

He and others like him terrify me and he should have gotten the death penalty and been dead many years ago. The fact that people like this are allowed to breathe air scares the hell out of me. I’d let him die before I would help him.

It’s true that many of us have cared for murderers and rapists without knowing about it. But I know about him and would never dream of agreeing to be his nurse.

Nurse Do Good
    Nurse Do Good
    Participant
    @Nurse Do Good

To be a nurse you must be able to care for others without bringing your emotions into it. You have no right to be in nursing if you would be willing to turn your back on anyone who needs your care. Perhaps you shouldn’t be a nurse if you can’t care for others without cherry picking.

Nurse Maid
    Nurse Maid
    Participant
    @Nurse Maid

Not in a million years. Not even if I was the last nurse on earth. He doesn’t deserve to breathe

Oh Snap
    Oh Snap
    Participant
    @Oh Snap

Nope and I wouldn’t have a problem telling his that I loathe him. The man (if you can call him that) is a psychopath and I would refuse to care for him. He knew exactly what he was doing. He was not mentally insane when he killed all those people.

I couldn’t live with myself if I did help him. I would lose sleep thinking about how I helped a vicious murderer live.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.